The Early Years Foundation Stage at the Old School Henstead is where your child’s journey to a life-long love of learning and exploration begins.
Within the Foundation Stage, the environment is carefully planned and curated to enable children to play, explore and learn effectively whilst building and supporting self-confidence, independence, decision-making, and problem-solving. Our setting is carefully adapted throughout the year to enable children to grow and develop with their environment and build skills that challenge them throughout the year.
At Henstead, we follow a child-led approach to planning. All aspects of the seven areas of learning and beyond are explored through the interests of the children to ensure pupils are always engaged and excited. We observe children at play and design our curriculum around current topics,
themes, and ideas that emerge from their exploration.
We use our professional knowledge to craft challenging and engaging experiences that help children meet the end of Reception year early learning goals and, in the shorter term, progress towards their next steps. In addition to this, our children are lucky to receive expert tuition in, art, swimming, music, games, and Spanish from dedicated, experienced teachers throughout the wider school.
Here in Early Years at the Old School Henstead, we believe that a well-rounded curriculum should take place both inside and outside the classroom. Outdoor learning is valued highly within the Early Years, ensuring children develop a connection and love for the world around them. We make use of our expansive grounds and outdoor areas to enhance all children’s learning experiences throughout their time in the Early Years and beyond.
In the Early Years Foundation Stage we aim to…
- Create a happy and safe environment in which children thrive and love to learn and explore.
- Provide a diverse and engaging curriculum, led by the children’s questions, ideas and personal interests.
- Thoroughly support children’s development throughout the seven areas and learning and beyond.
- Value each unique child and their strengths, needs and goals, enabling them to become confident, resilient and independent learners.
- Create strong parental links and positive relationships between home and school.
- Encourage and support children to become happy, healthy, well-rounded pupils who will go on to become life-long learners throughout their time at The Old School Henstead and beyond.